Friday, March 11, 2011

10 weeks in...

We are 10 weeks into the 2011 year. My goal one new recipe a week. So, how am I doing so far?? Well, I've concocted 12 new recipes. I'll be honest I snuck a few recipes into the same week so I may have missed a week or two. But overall, I'm pretty proud of that fact that I have stuck out this little blog adventure.
This week has been a whirlwind at work so my cooking has lacked slightly. But last weekend I did make an attempt at two new recipes, Carrot Cupcakes and Baked Artichoke Dip.

Let's start with dessert first. I decided to go with the cupcakes because I was going down to my cousin's house for a visit. My mother always taught me to never show up empty handed. And I had a slight feeling that my little cousin who is just a toddler might enjoy a little frosting. The cupcakes were easy to make and came out quite tasty. However, I felt like the cake was more of a bread then an actual cupcake. It lacked a certain light and fluffiness to it. The real star was the cream cheese frosting. Who isn't a sucker for some sweet velvety frosting?? Well, with it's touch of citrus it had me at hello. You better believe I will be using this frosting recipe again. Thank you Martha Stewart!
Working on my piping skills!

The baked artichoke dip I found on one of my favorite blog sites 101 CookBooks. I think Heidi (the blogger) try's really interesting things and has some beautiful photography to go along with her posts. She uses really natural, healthy ingredients. This was definitely something new for me. I had never used silken tofu before in a recipe. It definitely changed the texture of your regular spinach and artichoke greasy cheese filled dip. But, I am a fan. It kept the dip light and brought out the flavors of the artichoke instead of covering it up. I enjoyed it with some reduced fat Wheat Thins and did not feel one ounce of guilt while doing so.

This weekend my good friend, Kym, is coming in town for a visit. We will surely be enjoying some good times at the National ShamrockFest on Saturday. However, to start off the morning I am going to try a recipe that I have had sitting in my recipe binder for almost two years now. Be on the look out for my next post to hear all about it. But to keep you until next time and get you ready for St. Patrick's Day, I'm including my traditional Irish Soda Bread recipe that I have been making with my Mom since I was a kid. (Wendy feel free to omit the raisins, I am confident it will still be delicious)
Irish Soda Bread
2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. sugar
3/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. caraway seeds
3 tbsp. butter
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup raisins
milk for brushing
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine all ingredients until a soft dough forms. Knead dough for approximately one minute so all ingredients become incorporated. Shape and cut a cross on the top. Brush with milk and bake for 35 minutes.
Flaky, yeasty, and delicious with some black tea!

No comments:

Post a Comment