Sunday, November 13, 2011

Mushroom Bourguignon

Hey all, it has been awhile! But no worries I am back and with the holidays around the corner I will have lots of recipes to share. You would think with the three day weekend that I just enjoyed I would have more than just one recipe to give to you, but alas I spent most of the weekend lounging and shopping. You can't blame a girl can you? I found this recipe on, Pinterest, and wouldn't you know it is from one of my favs Smittenkitchen. Back in the days when I ate red meat I loved a good beef bourguignon, so I have been on the search for a vegetarian or pseudo-vegetarian version. And boy did Smitten deliver! This was a truly hearty, warming, best eaten in the dead of winter when your freezing your bum off dish! I basically followed the recipe as is, except I could not find pearl onions* in my grocery store and the dish did not suffer from the loss, but I imagine it would be a lovely extra touch.

Mushroom Bourguignon
2 Tbsp. Olive oil, divided
2 Tbsp. Butter, softened, divided
2 lbs. Mushrooms (I used whole creminis, and sliced baby bellas 1lb. each make sure to thoroughly clean all grit from mushrooms)
1/2 carrot, finely diced
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup full bodied wine (I used Yellowtail Shiraz and it worked great)
2 cups vegetable broth (you can use whatever you have on hand beef, chicken, or veggie your preference)
2 Tbsp. Tomato Paste
1/2 tsp. dried Thyme
1 cup pearl onions*
Egg noodles, cooked as package directs

In large pot, heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil and 1 Tbsp. butter add mushrooms and cook for about 3-4 minutes. remove from pot into a bowl and set aside. Add remaining olive oil, onions, carrots, thyme, salt and pepper and cook for about 10 minutes or until the onions have softened and slightly browned around the edges. Add the garlic and continue to cook for an additional minute or two. Pour in wine and increase temperature to high, let reduce to half (about 5 minutes). Add broth, tomato paste and mushrooms (with any juices that have collected). Allow to simmer for about 20 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. In a small bowl, combine flour and 1 Tbsp. butter once combined add into mushroom sauce. Continue to cook until desired consistency (this is when you would add pearl onions if going that route). I cooked mine for another 5-7 minutes so that it thickened slightly more. Serve over egg noodles, season to taste and get ready for a delicious heart warming dinner! I slopped up the extra juices with a hunk of crusty bread and enjoyed a glass of Shiraz, perfecto!


1 comment:

  1. sorry flour was not included in ingredients (1 1/2 tbsp. should do it :)

    ReplyDelete