Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Lemony Chicken with Honeyed Roasted Veggies and Baby Broccoli

Hey all, did you miss me? I have been slightly MIA lately since I have been on a little health kick. That means no baking deliciously sweet goods or fancy schmancy dinners with all of my favorites. With the slew of weddings, showers, and events I am planning to go to this summer I am determined to look fabulous in a dress. Therefore, my meals have been consisting mostly of rabbit food. Don't get me wrong I like to eat healthy. I strive to eat healthy for the majority of my meals. I mean really health and fitness is my business so I should. But for me to blog about a boring salad would be just plain wrong. But tonight I did put together a deliciously healthy and easy to throw together meal that I wanted to share with you.

The meal started with the roasted vegetables. A favorite past time of mine during these cold winter months. But I wanted to switch it up just slightly. So I used carrots, parsnips, sweet potatoes (kicked out my usual red onion) and added a touch of honey to sweeten things up. Next, was trying to keep with the healthy theme and use what I had in the pantry for my chicken. And lastly use up the broccoli that had been in my fridge since Saturday.

Honeyed Roasted Vegetables
3 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into similar size pieces
3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into similar size pieces
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into similar size pieces (catch me drift :)
1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1 Tbsp. honey
Salt and Pepper

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a small bowl, whisk together honey and olive oil. Place chopped vegetables on a large baking sheet. Drizzle honey & olive oil over veggies and season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 25-30 minutes or until vegetables are soft, tossing the vegetables about half way through so they can caramelize on two sides.

Lemony Chicken
2 thin chicken breasts, trimmed of all fat
1 Tbsp. Olive oil
1 garlic clove, chopped
Juice from a small lemon
Salt and Pepper

In a shallow dish, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and salt & pepper. Marinate the chicken breasts in mixture for about 5 minutes (not too long because the acid from the lemon juice will begin cooking the chicken).  Preheat a grill pan (or if you're lucky enough an actual grill). Cook chicken for about 3-4 minutes each side (depending on the thickness of the chicken breast) or until the center is no longer pink.

Steamed Baby Broccoli
In a large saucepan, put about 1-2 inches of water. Place baby broccoli with stems on in saucepan. Cover and steam for about 5 minutes, until the broccoli is just cooked but still has a slight bite to it. Drain and drizzle with olive oil, season with salt & pepper.

Hopefully, I will have more deliciously healthy meals to share with you in the near future. I hope you are all keeping warm and that the spring weather graces us with it's presence sooner rather than later.

No comments:

Post a Comment