Sunday, December 2, 2012

Mini Frittatas


So normally I go the sweet route for my Sunday morning breakfasts. Think french toast bites, chocolate chip pancakes, cinnamon pull apart bread, you get the idea. But today I wanted to use up what I had left in the fridge so savory was just going to have to do. In the fridge I had fully cooked turkey sausage, gruyere cheese, sliced roma tomatoes, chopped onion, left over tater tots (yes, I may have had these with my chicken burger last night creating childhood nostalgia), eggs, and pie crusts. I thought to myself I should just make a quiche it's super easy and I can basically do it with my eyes closed. But then trying to be a little better about my eating habits, since it is the holidays, I didn't want to have pie crust and tater tots combined, just too many carbs in one. So, I thought individual mini frittatas would be a nice breakfast and I could bring the extras to work for a quick and easy weekday breakfast. With these little guys you can literally use whatever you have hanging around the house. I've made broccoli and cheddar cheese before, or asparagus and swiss. Really use your imagination if you like bacon or pork sausage feel free to substitute, or if your vegetarian take out all the meat either way these will still be tasty. These are also great if you have a houseful of guests this holiday season and you weant something in the house that your guests can easily snack on or help themselves to.

Mini Frittatas (makes 12)
4 eggs
splash of half and half
splash of 1% or skim milk
1/3 cup shredded gruyere cheese, grated (a hard cheese similar to a swiss, can be found in the specialty cheese section)
1 Tbsp. flour
4 fully cooked turkey sausage links, sliced into small rounds
6 cooked/leftover tater tots, cut in half
1/2 small onion, chopped and lightly sauteed
Salt and Pepper
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, half and half, and milk. Add cheese, flour, onions, salt and pepper then stir together. Using a cupcake tin, line tin with cupcake liners (you do not want the mess of cleaning cooked egg and cheese off a muffin tin, trust me). Using a tablespoon, spoon out 1 tablespoon of egg mixture into each liner. In each cup add two pieces of turkey sausage, two pieces of tater tots, top with one slice of roma tomato. Top each cup with another tablespoon of egg mixture to finish it off. Bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes or until firm to the touch. The frittatas may be golden brown, that is what you want! Serve with a slice of toast or fresh fruit for a complete and delicious morning starter.

This is my favorite time of year where delicious food revolves around every party and get together. Stay tuned for some more holiday recipes this season. Hope you all enjoy One Recipe At a Time. I love hearing your feedback, questions, and your stories of the recipes you've tried. Comment below to tell me your favorite One Recipe At a Time recipe! Happy Holidays to you all. I'm off for some shopping, wrapping, and decorating. A perfect Sunday started off with a perfect savory breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment