Saturday, June 15, 2013

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie



So I'm sitting in my apartment and it is Day 1 of a three day detox juice cleanse, compliments of Dr. Oz. Let me tell you, it.is.not.easy! I'm hungry and I'm day dreaming of real food. Now to be honest this is a pretty hefty cleanse. It consists of four substantial smoothies chock full of veggies, fruits, and healthy fats. But for me this is an extreme decrease in my normal caloric intake. I mean I work out for a living, so I eat a substantial amount during the week. What do I decide to do in my light headed, slightly crazed state? I blog about the most amazing pie I've ever made. No seriously, I think it is the best pie I have ever baked from scratch in my entire 27 1/2 years on this planet. Thank god I had somewhere to bring it (shout out to the Crandall's for hosting yet another awesome cook out) or else I may have consumed the entire thing in one sitting!!!! As it was, I sliced myself a handsome sized piece served up with melt in your mouth vanilla ice cream. I think I'm doing this to torture myself, because the memories are making my stomach growl (it couldn't be the fact that I've only had smoothies and water all day, no definitely not).

In late spring, early summer dreaming of rhubarb is a weekly occurrence. Add strawberries into the mix and my day has been made. There is nothing better then the sweet of the strawberries and the savory of the rhubarb coming together to make something magnificent. Then add in a homemade buttermilk crust and coconut crumble, for real?! Yes, for real. I'm not sure any description of this pie will bring full justice to its outcome.

The recipe was found on one of my favorite cooking blogs Joy The Baker. Her instructions are spot on and I don't even want to try and replicate them for fear I will mess it up! Check out the recipe here: Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble Pie


I will continue to dream about strawberry and rhubarb and this heavenly pie will be what I picture. Give it a try, but only if you want something tasty and completely satisfying!

No comments:

Post a Comment