Saturday, August 31, 2013

Lobster Salad...the Long Island way

Summers on the North Fork of Long Island are idyllic. In the depths of winter I dream of the breeze off the bay, sitting with the water in sight and my friends and family close by. Living down here in VA, I am constantly yearning for the peace of a Long Island summer. This year due to my Hawaiian adventure I had to cut my Long Island vacation into a short three day weekend. My beautiful, long time friend, Alyssa was celebrating her marriage to Meyer. The wedding was something you see in the movies, set on a wildflower farm and officiated by the head speech writer of Unicef. It was as perfect as they come. Their romantic love story was told and the love was palpable. A tear or two may have been shed as I looked on and saw the happiness in my friends eyes. Some of my closest friends from my childhood were there and we made the most of it. Lots of dancing, amazing food, good drinks, and most of all great company.

We continued the fun the next day with trip to the beach, a great new winery Kontokosta, and an outdoor feast at my parents house! As we passed the dishes around, drank wine, and shared delicious food I was overwhelmed by the love I felt for the people around me.


The feast was a team effort and I can tell you this will be a meal I will crave for years to come. The menu included fresh green salad with homemade champagne blood orange vinaigrette, grilled zucchini, tomato mozzarella pesto salad, quinoa spinach goat cheese salad, homemade BBQ grilled chicken, and lobster salad rolls. To top it off was last years favorite grilled peaches with mascarpone and pistachios (you can find the recipe here: Grilled Honeyed Peaches with Pistachios). My sister is killer at making salad dressings and marinades. The one featured in this meal was fantastic! She layered the flavors and transformed a fresh salad into something truly memorable. My good friend Kym, brought her boyfriend Sean along for this trip, and boy am I glad he was around. Sean was the featured chef on the BBQ grilled chicken and I think I would do just about anything to get the recipe. The chicken was cooked to perfection with just the right amount of kick to the sauce. I was in charge of the lobster salad. This is what I came up with:

Lobster Salad Rolls
2 lbs. lobster meat
1 cup greek yogurt, nonfat
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tsp. dried dill (fresh is better, but I forgot it on my grocery run!)
Salt and Pepper to taste
8 potato hot dog rolls brushed with melted butter and toasted on the grill

In a small bowl, combine yogurt, mayo, lemon juice, dill, salt and pepper. Whisk until smooth. In a large bowl, combine lobster meat and dressing. Let sit for about 20 minutes in the fridge to let the flavors meld together. I do this first then make the other sides. Serve in warm toasted rolls.

I'm already dreaming about summer next year! I hope you are all enjoying the last weekend of summer. Happy Labor Day!

2 comments:

  1. It was so good and I couldn't have gotten anything better at a restaurant! Good food wine and company!

    ReplyDelete