Sunday, April 5, 2015

Asparagus Pea Risotto Dusted with Mint


Life is moving fast these days. I seem to blink my eyes and a week has passed. It's like an out of body experience. I can look down upon each day and it is as if I'm watching an episode on TV. Weird, I know.  Maybe I watch to much TV, but that's for another discussion. I returned from my Costa Rican vacation this past Friday. It was fleeting and not nearly long enough. I'm already planning my return trip and all of the things I would like to explore further. It was relaxing and peaceful. Traveling with my girlfriends Kim and Kate made it all the more fun. We stayed on the western coast in Guanacaste. The people there are so friendly, welcoming, and full of life. Pura Vida!! We enjoyed the beach, the sun, and had an adventure to the Arenal Volcano. The adventure included a 2 mile hike through the rainforest and hours in a thermal hot spring. I'm already dreaming of the poolside cocktails, and the rush of the ocean sounds. 

 I could go on all day about why you should visit Costa Rica, instead you should just do it!  

After a week of eating food that was not my own, I was eager to get back in the kitchen. And with the Easter holiday it was the perfect occasion to get my cook on. This risotto was easy, seasonal, and worth the little effort it took. 

Asparagus, Pea, and Mint Risotto

1 tsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Small Onion, chopped
2 Cloves Garlic, minced
1 cup Arborio Rice
1/4 cup White Wine (I used chardonnay this time)
3 1/2 cups Organic Chicken Broth (use Vegetable Broth to make this vegetarian)
1 cup Asparagus, trimmed and chopped into bite sized pieces
1/2 cup English Peas, raw 
1/4 cup Parmesan-Reggiano Cheese (grated with a microplane)
1 Tbsp. butter (Kerry Gold unsalted is the best! )
1 Tbsp. mint, julienned
Salt and Pepper to taste

In a large saute pan on medium heat, heat olive oil and then place onion. Cook onion for 2 minutes then add chopped garlic. While onion is cooking, heat broth in a small sauce pan over low heat. Allow the onion to become translucent, cooking for another 2 minutes. Then add rice. Toast the rice for about 2-3 minutes or until the rice becomes slightly translucent. Next, add the wine and allow the rice to absorb the liquid. Once liquid is absorbed, add one ladle full of broth (about 3/4 cup of broth). Season with salt and pepper. Allow the broth to be absorbed. Continue this process three more times (about 7-9 minutes). Then, add the peas and asparagus and the last bit of broth. Test the risotto, it should have a slight chew but still be creamy (3-4 minutes). At the end add the cheese, butter and garnish with mint. 



It's so easy! You won't be sorry if you add this to your weekly meal plan. Wait, you don't meal plan?! First off, why not? Second, it is the single most valuable tool for keeping to my budget and my diet. This is also great for lunch the next day. I bring it to work and it tastes just as good day two. Question on the recipe?? Let me know! I'm hoping to keep this blog more up to date. Let me know what you like to see, what you don't. There is always one more recipe I would like to try. I hope to see you back here soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment