Saturday, January 23, 2016

Snowzilla 2016

There is nothing I love more than a beautiful snow day. I'm sitting here at my desk sipping a Bailey's hot chocolate with the most perfect view of snow blowing through the trees behind my apartment and the 90's pop radio station blasting. I'm snuggled up in the fuzziest sweater you've ever seen with my feet nice and toasty in my slippers. I'm basically having the most perfect day! We've accumulated over 17 inches of snow here in Alexandria and it hasn't slowed down. Now typically, this would be the perfect day to be snuggled on my couch watching Netflix. But to be honest, that was how I spent my entire weekend last week. So in hopes of not being a complete lazy scrub (I always have tomorrow to do that!), I'm putting on my big girl pants and trying to be productive with my day. I made a banging breakfast that consisted of Cinnamon Raisin French Toast Stuffed with Honey Pecan Cream Cheese topped with a dusting of cinnamon sugar, fresh raspberries, real maple syrup and completed with turkey bacon and coffee. Ummm, hello deliciousness. This recipe will be put down on my long list of breakfast favorites and will be seen in my kitchen again in the near future. Next time, I'll invite some friends because a meal this good needs to be shared (any takers?).

Next up, I did my monthly budget. My personal budget has to be my least favorite chore. And yes, it is most definitely a chore. But at the beginning of 2016, I vowed that I would strive for financial consistency and make an action plan to be debt free before I'm 35 (I was being generous in my time management). I've made a drastic change to my monthly budget in order to pay down my credit card debt, in hopes of finding financial freedom at some point in the near future. If you have any good advice in the financial department, please send it my way! I can use all of the help and support I can get on my financial journey. On my list next, blogging! I'm sorry it took a blizzard to get me back in front of my computer. I've been hoarding some great recipes to share with you all and I can't wait for you to try them. 

First up is a recipe I made for my parents over the holiday break. Growing up on the North Fork of LI, I was not exposed to many ethnic cuisines. And the Chinese takeout place down the street does NOT count, although is still very much appreciated. But since college, I have learned to love all different sorts of cuisines, oh so much. Both of parents love Thai food and there is not a single Thai restaurant within a 30 minute drive of their house (probably even longer). Pineapple Fried Rice is by far one of my favorite Thai dishes and add some fresh shrimp from the Southold Fish Market and it is literally the perfect thing to warm you up on a cold night. I always add a little sriaracha to add that extra depth of flavor and heat. Let's just say I'm pretty sure Mom was glad to have someone else cook for the evening and Dad wasn't complaining either :)

Thai Pineapple Shrimp Fried Rice
1/2 medium onion, diced 
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 scallions, sliced (white and green parts) 
1 red bell pepper, diced
2 tsp. fish sauce, or more to your taste (coconut aminos or soy sauce would work)
1 Tbsp. yellow curry 
1/4 cup chicken stock (veggie works, too)
3 cups leftover cooked rice (I used brown, but any will work)
1 can of diced pineapple (canned in 100% pineapple juice no sugar added), drained 
1 lb. shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 red thai chili, sliced (or 1 medium jalapeño with ribs and seeds included)
1/3 cup peas, frozen 
1 egg, scrambled
1/2 cup cashews, unsalted 
1/4 cup currants or raisins
cilantro (handful chopped)
oil for pan (use a mild flavored oil, such as vegetable or canola)
Sriracha for garnish

In a large saute pan (or wok), heat oil (about 1 Tbsp.) then add onion, garlic, white part of the scallions, red bell pepper and cook for about 1 minute or until onion is translucent. Add curry, fish sauce, stock and stir. Next, add rice, pineapple, thai chili, and peas. Cook for a few minutes. Push rice mixture to one side of the pan. Add a bit more oil and shrimp, cooking until the shrimp are just opaque. Mix all of the ingredients in the sauté pan/wok so shrimp are combined evenly. Again push rice/shrimp mixture to the side. Add scrambled egg and cook through. Combine rice/shrimp mixture with egg. Add cashews, currants, green part of the scallions, cilantro, and salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with Sriracha and serve! 


Be on the lookout for my next post that includes a great Mediterranean dip that will please any crowd. Stay safe east coasters and enjoy Snowzilla! 

1 comment:

  1. I loved that dinner I am lucky to have a daughter who cooks so well and puts love into it to top it off.
    Love DAD

    ReplyDelete