Monday, January 17, 2011

2011 here we go...

So I usually forgo the traditional New Year's resolution. I seem to have issues with committing to a single resolution and sticking to it. However, this year I have resolved to refocus and reflect on my life. As an outlet I thought I would try at least one new recipe each week and write about it. I started with a little hand written journal, but as I started to tell people of my little adventure I was convinced to start a blog.

I did not know where to start with a blog, so what did I do but google it! Google did not fail me so here I am....

Week 1-Up first was a Spinach, Mushroom, Potato Pancake crusted Quiche courtesy of Everyday Rachel Ray. I have made quiche many a times. It is quick and an easy way to use up those extra eggs laying around the house and whatever else I may have on hand. I made a few adjustments to make the recipe lighter (using skim milk instead of 2%, reduced fat swiss, and loading up with extra spinach). The result a delightful salty, savory dish. Way to go recipe #1!! This year is starting off right!

Next up...Yet another Rachel recipe. Butternut Squash, Red Onion, and Radicchio Pizza!! OK, I was really excited for this one. It was a recipe that was not quite out of my comfort zone but was a definite change of pace. I have yet to meet a pizza I did not like, so I thought I would give it a go. I love love love butternut squash but I have never once used radicchio while cooking. Well, that might be a slight exaggeration as I do like radicchio in my pre-packaged salad mixes. This was a hearty vegetable filled pizza with just enough garlic to add pizazz. Let's just say I ate it for the rest of the week and never once felt disappointment in my leftovers.

Still on week 1 and onto my third new recipe, Peanut Butter Pie courtesy of Sandra Lee (do you see a FoodNetwork theme starting here). Very easy recipe with great results. I made this for a small dinner party with close friends. I made healthy adjustments once again (1/3 less fat cream cheese, Fat Free whipped topping, natural PB) and it did not upset the outcome. Peanut Butter + chocolate, enough said! I will be using this one again.
Same dinner party--Shrimp Scampi. My friend Kristen swears I have made shrimp scampi for her before, but I'm not convinced. I have eaten scampi many a times but I do not recall ever making it from scratch. I used a simple recipe (whole wheat pasta, shrimp, olive oil, garlic, parsely, shallots, lemon zest/juice, white wine and S+P). I thought it needed something a little more. I would probably add just a little butter next time and let the flavors develop into the pasta before adding the shrimp. I want to go another round with scampi.

Week 2- Creamy Shrimp and Tomato Soup---my first beautiful disaster. With all of my good intentions of creating my recipes healthier sometimes it just is not the way to go. I was following a recipe (one found on yet another handy google search) and decided to use Fat Free half and half instead of the regular half and half. In my mind I knew that this option was not a smart decision. I had a feeling that it would not properly set the soup. And oh was I right....lesson learned listen to your gut when cooking!!!!! This soup could have been great, if I had just done it the way it was supposed to be done. The flavors developed but the texture never did. Leaving me with a separated cream and tomato soup with little shrimps bobbing about it. I pledge never again to use fat free half and half while creating soups!

Week 3--- JMU Girls Weekend!! Bring on a weekend full of wine, food, and good friends. I traveled up to the little town of Madison, CT to spend the weekend with my best friends from college. In hopes to save some money we decided to stay at my friend Kate's parents new house (they had yet to move in) and camp out! Another attempt to save some money was cooking in one evening. It was so great to enjoy some wine and cook dinner all together. Kristen had the idea to make shrimp risotto! With no recipe we winged it. I had made risotto a few times before so I had a good idea of where to start. It was fun sharing my little knowledge of risotto with the girls. I made the first batch with shallots, garlic, butter, white wine, peas, shrimp, vegetable broth and parmesean. I wouldn't usually use vegetable broth but we had a vegetarian in the house so I gave it a try. While, I did enjoy the outcome I would have preferred the chicken broth it has a lighter taste and coloring. The broth we used had a rich brown color which I felt was off putting for risotto. The second batch Kristen took over and showed us her stuff! With little left to wash out of the bowl I think it was a success.

I'm looking forward to a new year, new recipes, new tastes, and a new outlook on life! Bring it on 2011.

5 comments:

  1. So glad you decided to do this! Its looking great so far :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice Renee, everything sounds delicious! I may have to copy some of your ideas/recipes so thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummy stuff Renee! My mum and I had the leftover risotto yesterday for lunch and she was impressed!
    Do you think you can add the links to the actual recipes you found?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay...thanks for reading! Kate I will definitely start adding the links to the recipes and some pictures as soon as I get myself a little more organized. Keep a look out for my next post :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Renee! I love this! The Goldsmith Family has forever been mindful of your culinary talent...I'm so glad we get to follow you with this great blog!
    You have officially made me hungry, and I can't wait for your next post!
    PS...if my "boss" questions my work efficiency today, I'm blaming it on you and your blog :)

    ReplyDelete