Thursday, January 27, 2011

Thundersnow!

So yesterday on my way home from work I was caught up in a little thing called Thundersnow. Never heard of it?? Well, neither had I. Apparently, it is a thunderstorm with snow. My 12 mile commute turned into a snow laden 6 hour drive from hell. I left DC at 5:30 pm to make my way towards my home for a drive that usually takes 25 minutes. Little did I know so was every federal employee in the vicinity. I literally inched my way home in slushy, wet, slippery snow. Praying every minute just to get home safe. With the few bursts of lightening to brighten the sky, I could of sworn I was an extra in an apocalyptic movie as I pass by abandoned cars.
And what does my commute from hell do to me?? It makes me darn hungry and cranky. With only 5 little Dove chocolates at my disposal (I swear I usually have more random snacks hidden in my car usually) I was starving. In cold weather I crave soup. I love nothing more than cooking a homemade comforting soup. And this one was waiting patiently at home for me.

 This soup was inspired by Sweet Velvet a delicious soup that I ate while in CT for my girls weekend. This was my attempt at a recreation:

Sweet Potato Jalapeno Corn Soup
3-4 medium sweet potatoes
1 bag frozen sweet corn kernals
2 Tbsp. jarred Jalapenos
1 small onion, chopped
1 tbsp. olive oil
32 oz. low sodium chicken broth (you can use vegetable or any other you have on hand)
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. cumin
salt and pepper to taste

In a large stockpot saute onions in olive oil for 3-4 minutes or until slightly translucent. Add sweet potatoes and broth and bring to boil. Once boiling lower heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until sweet potatoes are soft. Add 3/4 of the bag of corn and 1 tbsp. jalapenos. Using an immersion blender blend until smooth (you can also use a blender or food processor). Add cinnamon, cumin, salt and pepper, the rest of the corn kernals and jalapenos for texture. Put the soup on low and heat another 10 minutes to allow the flavors to meld. The soup will be spicier the longer you let it sit. Feel free to adjust jalapenos to your taste preference.

I was thoroughly comforted by this yummy soup! Although I'm not sure it is an exact replica of the one I enjoyed in CT. I might make a few adjustments next time, such as adding 1-2 tbsp. sugar or adding lime juice and cilantro as a garnish.

Hopefully I will never again be stuck in a Thundersnow in my car :)

2 comments:

  1. Yummo! Can you try and re-create the other soup we ate in CT and the chai tea for me too?! This is great, Renee!

    ReplyDelete