Tuesday, February 15, 2011

I am my own sweet Valentine

So my Valentine's Day consisted of a trip to the dentist and a girls night in. 
My friend Sarah joined me for dinner and a movie. On the menu, Chicken Sausage with Peppers and Onions over farfalle pasta, whole wheat baguette garlic bread, and for dessert chocolate covered strawberries. We kept the Valentine's theme going with a lot of red! The chicken sausage was delicious, it was roasted red pepper and garlic flavored. This was a very easy, fairly quick recipe. Note to self: the pasta takes the longest, so put the water on right away. This is pretty much what I put together: 

Chicken Sausage and Peppers over Pasta
3/4 of a box Whole Wheat Farfalle Pasta
4 Chicken Sausage Roasted Red Pepper and Garlic flavor
1 medium onion, sliced
1 green bell pepper, sliced
1 red bell  pepper, sliced
1 clove garlic
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 32 oz. can whole tomatoes and their juices
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
salt and pepper to taste
Cook pasta as directed on box. Slice the chicken sausage and brown in 1 tbsp. olive oil. Remove from pan and drain on a paper towel. In the same pan add onions, green peppers, and red peppers, 1 tbsp. olive oil and saute for about 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and saute another 2 minutes or until peppers soft and onions slightly caramelized. Add tomatoes and crushed red peppers. Using a spatula or wooden spoon break the whole tomatoes down (you can use diced tomatoes or crushed tomatoes if you prefer, I like the texture of the whole tomatoes). Allow vegetables to simmer about 5 minutes, then add sausage and cooked pasta, salt and pepper to taste. 
Some additions per next time, suggestions compliments of Sarah :) -- grated parmesan cheese, fresh spinach
Chocolate covered strawberries must be the easiest dessert to put together. They were just the right amount of sweet after a slightly spicy dinner. Using a double boiler, just melt semi-sweet chocolate chips and dip the strawberries in to cover them with chocolate. I inserted a toothpick into the top of the strawberry to make it easier to dip. Then place the dipped strawberries on a cookie sheet and refrigerate for about 20 minutes. Enjoy! I had some extra chocolate so I dipped pretzels into the remaining chocolate for a little sweet snack the next day. After the strawberries, we watched the movie "Catfish" which was not at all what I expected. It kept me interested the entire time, I would definitely recommend it! 
Any suggestions for my next post?! Leave a comment :) 

2 comments:

  1. Hey Renee! I loved reading your last two posts. Kudos on the efforts put in with artichokes. I've been curious myself about how it is to cook with them.
    I'm glad you had such a nice Valentine's Day. I'm drolling over the picture of your chocolate covered strawberries. Jordan and I had Tacos. We spiced it up I guess you could say. We had a romantic evening of Jalapenos and Guacamole with a bottle of bubbly Miller Lite. Yum. I must say I make some real good seasoning and I can't get enough of avacado!
    I hope you are feeling better. The wind is really whippin up here so anyone with allergies is feeling it today. The forcast is calling for single digit temps again too. Maybe I'll give your soup recipe a whirl. Spring can't come soon enough.
    Well, I'm off to face the down side of cooking a good meal, the dishes. Miss you much and can't wait to cook with you! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy--it's sounds like you had a nice Valentine's Day, nothing better then a little mexican and beer!Miss you!

    ReplyDelete