Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Is it Spring Yet?

So, I'm pretty sure a missed a week of new recipes. Forgive me?? To make up for it I'm trying something that I have always wanted to but never had the guts to...

I spent a fabulous night out with friends on Friday. Enjoyed a rousing round of karaoke, and yes Sir Mix A Lot was involved. There may have been some dancing at Mr. Day's Bar and a egg and cheese bagel to recover. And then Saturday afternoon came.....my first sickness of the winter weather. I came down with a horrible cold that has lasted through today. My voice still slightly resembles that of a frog. Hence no new recipes. I spent Saturday through Monday in a fog of sleep interrupted with fits of coughing, sneezing, and sniffling. I felt like one of those pathetic Tylenol Flu commercials. Therefore, cooking was pretty much out of the question. I was lucky that I could boil the water for my ramen noodles. So now that I am back to work and feeling much better a trip to the grocery store was necessary for some fresh ingredients to stock the fridge. And what did I come across? But some beautiful artichokes. I have always wanted to try and steam an artichoke to dip into a little melted butter. I, however, have always been intimidated by the shape of artichokes. I just didn't know how they would cook up. Also, I never grew up eating them really. I think I may have had the jarred version but never fresh artichokes. I'm a sucker for the baby frozen artichokes (fabulous in risotto). They are super easy just defrost and use. So, since it is 2011, I went for the challenge with these beauties.
I turned on my new favorite pandora station, Florence + the Machine and got started. But who do I turn to when I'm not sure exactly how to cook something?? Well, Mom first of course. But, she could not help. So, I went to the second best person, Mark Bittman. My friend Kim got me this great cookbook "How to Cook Everything", by Mark Bittman and it has been a life saver. This book is literally cooking for dummies without the dummy. Literally, anything you think you don't know how to cook Mr. Bittman can help you step by step. And there it was, a "Basic Steamed Artichokes" recipe waiting there for me. Here it is:
2 Large artichokes
Salt and Pepper
1. Using kitchen shears or scissors trim the tops of the leaves. Cut 1/4 inch off the stem and cut 1/2 off the top of the artichoke.
2. Place the artichokes in a large pot with about 1 inch of water (enough to steam without drying out the bottom of the pot). Cover and cook for about 20-30 minutes. (it took me about 25 minutes) You know they are done when the outer leaves pop off easily. 
3. Drain them upside down for a minute. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. 
I served them with a little lemon butter (melted butter with lemon zest and juice). I accompanied the artichokes with a chicken piccata (Giada DiLaurentis has a great recipe in her Everday Italian cookbook) and a sweet potato.

Thoughts on the artichoke?? A lot of work for not a lot of gratification. I was thoroughly delighted with the outcome as far as how well I cooked it. But honestly for all the work I put into cutting, trimming, and steaming it I wouldn't repeat this often. That said the lemony chicken and lemon dipping sauce did remind me of Spring! It also reminded me of my trip to Monterey this past September driving past the miles of artichoke farms. Artichokes grow above the ground and are these big bushy plants with little artichokes that pop up like flowers. Ahhh, good memories. I'm excited to be heading back to beautiful California next month for a conference in San Fran! Maybe I will try something new, Dim Sum anyone?? Definitely looking forward to some warmer weather.

Who knew that this is what the inside of an artichoke looked like?

2 comments:

  1. Good for you for trying something challenging! Everything looks great. I've used some Mark Bittman recipes from the NY Times website, always fairly simple and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you tried it maybe sometime when your home we can make them and remember our wonderful trip.

    ReplyDelete