Saturday, August 27, 2011

Andouille Chicken Sausage with Saffron Rice and Veggies

This morning I set my alarm for 7:00am determined to get my long run in before Hurricane Irene decided to grace us with her presence. Well, I rolled out of bed at around 7:45am quickly dressed, ate a slice of whole wheat toast and off I went. Not as early as I had hoped, but early enough to fend off the rain. I decided to stay on the W O&D bike trail that way I could track my mileage. I got 4.3 miles in, woohoo!! After, a delicious breakfast of over-easy eggs, on toast with avocado and tomato my stomach was still a rumblin'. This training is definitely giving my appetite a run for it's money. But I evaded the urge to snack with what else a nap? Seriously, is there anything better then a nap on a rainy Saturday, I think not. After the nap, a little cleaning and watching "Something Borrowed" (the book was better than the movie!) I was ready to cook up something delicious. 

I had a package of saffron rice sitting in my pantry that I had wanted to save for a delicious paella. I, however, was running low on seafood. What I did have, was some delicious looking andouille chicken sausage. So this dish was inspired by my classic paella using what I had on hand. 


Andouille Chicken Sausage with Saffron Rice & Veggies
1- 5 oz. package Saffron Rice cooked (I used Mahatma long grain rice)
3 andouille chicken sausages, sliced (I used Open Nature 100% natural smoked andouille chicken sausage)
1/2 cup each of diced green bell pepper, onion, carrots, white button mushrooms
1 can Organic No Salt Added Diced Tomatoes (I used Trader Joe's)
1/4 cup frozen peas
1 Tbsp. butter
1 Tbsp. olive oil
Salt and Pepper to taste

Prepare saffron rice as directed on package. I cut down the cooking time so that the rice still had a little bite to it (it will continue to cook once added to the veggies). 
In a large sautee pan add butter and olive oil. Add peppers, carrots, and onion and allow to soften, about 4 minutes. Add mushrooms and continue to cook. Once the veggies are softened, add saffron rice, sausage, tomatoes, and peas. Cook until hot and bubbly, approximately 3 minutes. Serve immediately.

 
This dish took less than 30 minutes to make but tasted as if I had worked all day on it. The sausage added a delicious smoky flavor, the rice was fluffy with a full saffron flavor, and the veggies were cooked to perfection. I will most definitely be making this again sometime soon. So glad that I have a ton of leftovers! This would be a great meal to make for company. I would increase the amount of rice and add some fresh shrimp, mussels, and maybe some clams and a delicious hearty seafood feast would be had! 
Fingers crossed I don't lose my power and we miss the worst of Hurricane Irene. NY stay safe, love to all my family and friends!  

No comments:

Post a Comment