Sunday, August 28, 2011

Sunday Doughnuts...

Sunday has been my favorite day of the week for quite sometime. It also has been my least favorite day since I decided to go off on my own and live in a small studio apartment. I have always associated Sunday with family. And since my family is approximately 339 miles away it makes for a lonely day. It makes me thankful for all of the years that I was able to spend with them on a lazy Sunday either cooking, going for a walk along the beach at Seagyan, or when my Great-Grandfather was alive eating Entemann's and Ball Park hot dogs at his house. To say I miss my family on Sunday's is an understatement, but that is why Mom usually gets a call just so I can hear her voice.
Prep

Why do I still love Sunday even if I can't be with my family? Well, because it is my day. I have finished all of my errands for the week, the fridge is stocked, and I can basically do whatever my heart desires. And that usually includes some kind of baking. This Sunday I found myself waking up to the sound of the neighbors vacuuming, ugh. I had barely slept a wink, since Hurricane Irene decided to blow her mighty winds the hardest at about 2am just about the time my power decided to go out for a short bit. But I can't complain since that was the worst of it, and I know how many people are much worse for the wear after the storm.



These doughnuts made my
 entire apartment smell like fall!
I needed to get out of my little apartment since the walls felt like they were starting to close in after 36 hours or so of being cooped up. I headed off to church for some much needed spiritual attention. Then I was off to Tyson's Corner to pick up a few new shirts from H&M and catch a movie, "The Help". Great shirts for fall and a great movie that had me shedding a few tears (just as good as the book!). When I was back home, sitting, eating my leftover Andouille Chicken Sausage and Rice and looking into my very clean kitchen, I had the sudden urge to bake up a batch of pumpkin doughnuts.  I have been craving the fall weather and I had this recipe sitting in my browser bookmarks section. I just so happened to have all the ingredients on hand. What was a girl to do?! Well, I had at it.

Dry Ingredients
Wet Ingredients
Follow this link, Pumpkin Doughnuts with a Cinnamon Glaze , to get to the recipe. I followed it exactly and the doughnuts came out scrumptious. The cinnamon glaze is a must. It adds depth of flavor and brings out the taste of pumpkin. The doughnuts are baked not fried so they are a whole lot better for you then any you would buy from the supermarket. I'm not sure if I would change anything in the recipe. I might try to get creative with the glaze. I think a maple or an almond glaze might add some nice flavor. 
Pre-glaze


I'm really hoping my coworkers enjoy doughnuts because I am bringing these delicious suckers in. Here's to hoping these won't go to waste or to my waist ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment