Tuesday, December 13, 2011

French Toast Bites

Hey all! It's the holiday season and that means my kitchen has been working over time. I just can't resist cooking for friends when holiday cheer is upon me. My coworkers are especially lucky since it is just so easy to bring leftovers into work with me. They get cookies galore! But the product of this recipe was for me alone, there was no sharing here ;) Plus breakfast foods don't tend to pack well.

I recently acquired the photography app Instagram on my iPhone, so I will be using that to show off my handiwork. In case you were wondering where the artistic flare came from.

These little pillows of delight are seriously the best breakfast I have had in a while. But beware these are a holiday treat and should be treated as such since they definitely pack the calories. But hey this is what holidays are for right, a little indulgence! I had a leftover baguette that needed to be used up since it was a little stale and what better way then to incorporate my favorite breakfast food.

French Toast Bites

1 loaf day old Baguette or French Bread
2 eggs
1/4 cup or so of half and half
dash of nutmeg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tbsp. butter

For dusting:
2 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon

Syrup for serving

Beat together eggs and a generous splash of half and half (I say about 1/4 cup but adjust to the amount of bread you have, more half and half for more bread). Add nutmeg and vanilla. Cube the bread into bite size pieces or to the size of your liking. You could always do slices but I found the bite sized cubes more fun! Toss the cubes of bread into egg mixture until the bread soaks up all of the egg.

Melt 1 tbsp. of butter into large saute pan (or griddle if you have it) over medium high heat. Place the half of the soaked pieces of bread in the pan once the butter has begun to bubble. Watch carefully! They will cook up fast.  Cook for approximately 5 minutes or until pieces are browned on all sides.

In a medium bowl, combine cinnamon and sugar. Once you remove the fully cooked pieces of bread from the pan, place directly into cinnamon/sugar mixture and toss lightly until pieces are coated evenly. Set aside and repeat with the remaining pieces of bread.

Serve with a side of warmed maple syrup for dipping and enjoy! 


This is a super simple, quick and easy delicious weekend breakfast recipe. I hope you give it a try and if you do let me know how it comes out! 

The finished product! 


p.s. how do we like the new photo technique...yay or nay? Any requests for recipes or any challenges out there? I'm always looking for ideas to share with you all so just let me know. 



No comments:

Post a Comment