Sunday, December 18, 2011

Power Smoothie

So with the holidays comes decadent eating, and I am not one to pass up the sweets. This is by far my favorite time of year to eat. All of my favorites seem to find the table during the holidays....turkey, mashed potatoes, magic cookie bars, sweet potato casserole. Name that holiday food and it has probably made an appearance on my favorites list. But all of this heavy food tends to weigh me down, literally weigh me down. And I need plenty of energy to get through shopping and wrapping presents and planning all of my holiday travel. So I have been whipping up this quick, super healthy, and tasty power smoothie. It is packed with vitamins and nutrients that make me feel good. It helps me start the day off on a good note. I use my Cuisinart Stick Blender to make this even quicker. 
Renee's Power Smoothie
1/4 cup old fashioned rolled oats
1 small ripe banana
1 tsp. honey
1/4 cup orange juice
1 large handful baby spinach
1 cup frozen blueberries

In a tall measuring cup (I used the one that comes with the cuisinart blender) or in a blender pitcher, pulse the rolled oats until they are the texture of corn meal. Add the banana, honey, and orange juice and blend until combined. Add the spinach and blueberries (still frozen) and blend until desired consistency. Then enjoy! 


You can see the specks of green spinach and rolled oats and you just know this is good for you. The smoothie comes in at a little under 300 calories and packs in the vitamin C, A, B-6, folate, iron, and magnesium. But the best part, it tastes great so you won't even mind that it is healthy! Hope you try out this delicious recipe in the near future, I promise you won't regret it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment