Monday, April 23, 2012

Homemade Cheese Crackers

Here is the second recipe of my self inflicted Pinterest challenge. I have never made my own crackers from scratch, so I thought why the heck not. Think of these as grown up Cheez-Its. There is a nice little kick from the crushed red pepper, and the cheddar cheese in nothing short of delicious. These would be great to serve during cocktail hour at a dinner party or for a wine and cheese night. They are easy to put together but make sure not to over pulse them in the processor or add too much milk or they will become tough (I myself added a smidgen too much of milk). The original recipe can be found here Melt-in -your-mouth (the blogger has great pictures and directions so please take a look as I followed the recipe verbatim). I simply halved the recipe not being exactly sure how they would come out.
Processing 
Homemade Cheddar Cheese Crackers
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp. all purpose flour
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 Tbsp. milk (no more, it will work I promise you just be patient) 
Coming Together
In a food processor, combine cheese, butter, flour, red pepper, and salt. Pulse about 5-6 times then add milk and pulse until it comes into a ball. On a floured surface, roll out the dough and cut into small crackers. Using round end of a skewer dot each cracker (this will help prevent them from puffing up too much). Bake at 350 for about 12 minutes or until the crackers are just beginning to brown along the edges. 
Fresh out of the oven
They were quite yummy and I look forward to having them as a nice little snack at lunch. 
Packed up

No comments:

Post a Comment