Sunday, April 22, 2012

Spring Onion and Asparagus Risotto

Sunday night dinner sets the tone for the week. I wanted to start this week off with a bang so I chose this Pin to get started. The original recipe was from Bon Apetit, which can be found here: Risotto Alla Primavera. I wanted to use the fresh produce from the farmer's market that I had picked up on Saturday, so I adjusted to what I had on hand. I also halved the recipe since I am cooking for just one :) Risotto is a great weekend meal, it takes time, attention and patience. I thoroughly enjoy the process of risotto and I'm excited for this new spin on it.
Spring Onion & Asparagus Risotto
1 Tbsp. olive oil
10 small apring onions, white parts only sliced
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 cup arborio rice
1/4-1/3 cup white wine (I used Pinot Grigio)
3 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
1 cup trimmed asparagus
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1/4 cup grated fresh parmesan-reggiano
Salt and pepper to taste

In a medium sauce pan, warm chicken broth and keep over a low flame. In a large pan heat, 1 tbsp. olive oil and place onions and garlic. Cook until onions become translucent. Add risotto and allow the risotto to toast about 1 minute. Stir in the wine and allow liquid to evaporate. Add broth in about two ladlefuls at a time, allow liquid to evaporate. Repeat 3 more times (approximately 9-10 minutes over medium heat). Add the asparagus and two more ladlefuls of broth, again allowing broth to soak into the rice. Add two last ladlefuls of broth and allow to evaporate. Once the rice is done it should be creamy with a slight bite to it. Remove from heat and add butter and cheese, stir. Serve piping hot! I garnished with the green portion of the spring onion thinly sliced and extra cheese.

The risotto itself is creamy and scrumptious. The spring onion adds a subtle freshness and the asparagus keeps a slight crunch for a great texture combination with the risotto. As I sit here enjoying my meal, drinking a glass of pinot, and writing this post I hope that the recipes I share find their way to your table. This is a classic dinner and would be a lovely surprise for those special people in your life. For now I will enjoy my meal and prep for what looks to be a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment