Sunday, January 20, 2013

New Cookbooks and a litte Berry Baked Oatmeal

This gorgeous weather inspired me to go for an outdoor run and it felt more like spring then winter and I couldn't be happier about it. A run always encourages me to be productive for the rest of the day. It energizes me and sets me up for a day of accomplishment. So why, you may ask, do I not run more often? If I knew the answer, I would tell you! But anyways I did it, I went for a run and now you will be gifted with a new blog post. I had a portion of this post saved in my drafts for about 2 weeks, so I tweaked it a bit to share the breakfast I made for myself and my parents who visited this weekend. Here it goes...

The best thing about the post holiday season is digging into all of your new toys, clothes, or in my case cookbooks! My sister gifted me with the awesome brand new " The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook" by Deb Perlman. I was so excited to receive this because I have been following the Smitten Kitchen blog for going on 4 years now. And the best part is that 85% of the recipes have never been seen on the blog. Brand new recipes from one of my favorite bloggers, yes please. I've already spent probably 2 straight hours just flipping the pages back and forth admiring the photography and delicious displays of food that were all created in a tiny New York City apartment kitchen. I"f she can do it, so can I" , ran through my head more than once. So for my very first try at a recipe I went with the Spaghetti Squash and Black Bean Tacos with Queso Fresco. Some of my favorite food items are listed in the title so how could I not try?! Here's a peak at what I enjoyed and will definitely be rotating into my cooking schedule.


Onto another favorite blogger of mine. Two weeks ago I first tried Heidi Swanson's Baked Oatmeal from her "Super Natural Everyday". I then recreated it again today for my visitors. It was awesome both times! The first time around, I wanted something I could make on Sunday and eat for breakfast throughout the week. This proved to be an extremely easy and delectable choice. I used blackberries in placed of the listed huckleberries because I honestly have never seen huckleberries at my grocery store plus the blackberries just looked too delicious not to try. The ripe bananas, crunchy toasted walnuts, sweet blackberries, and just a touch of real maple syrup make this concoction a new go to breakfast choice! You will not want to miss out on this. This is a heart warming winter breakfast that I must admit impressed my parents! I served with a side of turkey sausage to add a little protein.




Baked Oatmeal (adapted from SuperNatural by Heidi Swanson)
2 cups old fashioned rolled oats (not the quick cooking kind)
1 tsp. baking powder aluminum free
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/3 cup raw turbino sugar 
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 cup walnuts
2 pints blackberries, rinsed and dried
2 small ripe bananas, sliced into rounds
2 cups skim milk
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 large egg
3 Tsbp. melted unsalted butter 
1/2 Tbsp. real maple syrup (plus more for serving)

In a medium bowl, combine oats, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, sugar and 1/4 cup walnuts. In another medium bowl, whisk together milk, vanilla, egg, melted butter (slightly cooled), and 1/2 Tbsp. maple syrup. Line the bottom of a baking dish with bananas and 1 pint of blackberries, top with oats mixture. Drizzle milk mixture over top of the oats and ensure everything is combine and the oats are covered with the milk. Top with the remaining 1 pint of blackberries and 1/4 cup of walnuts. Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 35-40 minutes. Serve with maple syrup and a side of turkey sausage links for a scrumptious, warming, winter breakfast!  


Now off to organize my closets and brand "new" antique dresser that was so lovingly brought down to me by my awesome parents! I hope your day is as productive as mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment