Thursday, January 24, 2013

Grilled Halloumi You Say?


OK, I love breakfast I really do. I eat it not only in the morning but it's seen on my table fairly often at dinner time. That being said this blog has filled up with savory, sweet, and just dang tasty breakfast treats. But the point of this blog was never to expand my breakfast horizons. I've always felt that my breakfast has never lacked creativity. Rather, this blog was as a platform for me to try things that I might not feel comfortable with or 100% sure I will love.  So with that in mind, I took something I constantly crave, halloumi cheese, and I paired it with a spiced couscous that I wasn't exactly sure I would love or for that matter like. I originally found this recipe : Grilled Halloumi with spiced couscous. I tweaked it only slightly based on what was in my trusty pantry.

Halloumi is a mixed milk cheese that usually includes goat and sheep's milk and sometimes cow's milk. It has a thick, chewy texture with a salty bite. Halloumi has an extremely high melting point which makes it ideal for grilling, frying, etc. because it will keep it's shape and hold up to the high heat. The first time I enjoyed this scrumptious cheese was in Astoria, NY where Greek culture abounds. Astoria is home not only to my sister but some of the best friends this girl could ask for, so it is one place I frequent regularly. You can't find halloumi just anywhere, but if you have a specialty cheese shop I'm sure you can scrounge some up. Halloumi is seen mostly in Greek, Turkish, and Lebanese cuisines. So the next time your craving a Turkish flat bread look for one topped with halloumi it will not disappoint. 

The spiced couscous added a nice depth to the saltiness of the halloumi with the tomato, lemon and cilantro adding a certain brightness. If you don't care for cilantro, Italian parsley is always a great substitution and would pair well with the other ingredients here. The steamed cauliflower which I find to be an under utilized vegetable gives a meatiness and filling aspect to the dish. Doing meatless Monday's? Try this, you never know you may just like it! 


Grilled Halloumi with Cauliflower, Tomato, Cilantro and Spiced Couscous (Serves 3)
1 12 oz. log halloumi cheese
2 Tbsp. olive oil divided
1 small tomato, cut into small wedges
1 small head of cauliflower, chopped into bite sized pieces
2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
lemon juice for garnish 
3/4 cup plain couscous
1 cup water
1 cube vegetable bouillon
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. coriander
1/2 tsp. cumin seeds, crushed in a mortar and pestle 
Salt and Pepper 

In a medium saucepan bring 1/2 cup water to a rolling simmer, add cauliflower and cover. Cook for 5-8 minutes or until cauliflower is steamed and tender. While the cauliflower is steaming, in a a small saucepan combine 3/4 cup water, vegetable bouillon, cinnamon, coriander, cumin, 1 tbsp. olive oil and bring to a boil. Add couscous, turn heat off and remove pan from heat. Stir couscous, cover and set aside for 5 minutes then fluff with a fork. Drain cauliflower and set aside. Cut halloumi into 6-8 slices of 1/2 inch think slices drizzle with olive oil on each side. On a hot grill pan cook halloumi for 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown grill marks appear. In a large bowl, combine cauliflower, tomatoes, spiced couscous, chopped cilantro. Serve grilled halloumi over the couscous and vegetables, garnish with a healthy squeeze of lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper as necessary. 

No comments:

Post a Comment