Monday, April 15, 2013

Cinco de Mayo Recipe!

Days like today make me stop and thank god for everything I have been blessed with. I am a runner, or at least other people tell me I am. I started running about 4 years ago and have learned to like it, not love but like. I put my mileage in and the time to do the races I think will challenge me. Two years ago, I proudly finished the Army Ten Miler with my dad and uncle. This year, I am training for the Marine Corps Half Marathon. I never in a million years would have thought that I could finish a half marathon but with my training about half way over I know I can do it. I am confident I will put my best out there on the race course. I think about all of the runners in Boston today, the spectators, and those who lost their lives. I think of the time and effort it takes to run 26.2 miles, the dedication those runners had and the support from their friends and families in the spectator stands. And it just hits too close to home. The horror they must have felt approaching the finish line to be greeted with terror. It angers me that a good portion of those runners were not able to cross that line, were not able to complete their dream. Then I think of the wars that rage everyday in far off places. Places I can only imagine about and the terror they see day in and day out. It doesn't lessen the hurt and pain of events like today, but it puts into perspective how lucky we are to live in a country where our safety is not often feared. I will try my best to never take for granted the safety that has been bestowed upon me, and the men and women who serve everyday for me to have it. 

If you know me at all, you know tragedy has stricken my family more than once. I have become accustomed to "dealing" with death. I don't say healing because I think some wounds never heal, but I've learned to cope. Today I remember words I have said to myself often, "I will not live with regret". I am blessed to be alive and I don't ever want to take for granted each day that I am gifted. 

With all that being said, and with the need to not feel regret for today, I wanted to be productive and share a terrific recipe. Something a little less heavy hearted, and a little more uplifting. This is a must try for your Cinco de Mayo celebrations. I hope it brightens your day a little and leaves you wanting to do more with what you have. 

Blackened Fish Tacos with Mango Avocado Salsa
3 fillets Tilapia, rinsed and patted dry (mahi mahi or haddock would work as well) 
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. cumin 
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground mustard
2 tsp. paprika 
Mango Avocado Salsa (see recipe below) 
Corn Tortillas
Lime wedges, for serving

Combine all spices together and mix well. Sprinkle spice mixture over both sides of fish and rub vigorously into the fish. On a grill pan drizzled with olive oil (about 2 tsp.), over medium high heat, cook tilapia for 3 minutes each side or until tender (fish should easily flake when a fork is pulled over the fish). Time may need to be adjusted based on the thickness of the filets. 

Mango Avocado Salsa
1 large mango, cubed
1 medium avocado, cubed
1/2 small red onion, chopped
1 small jalapeno, minced
2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped 
1/4 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
juice from 1 lime
salt and pepper

Combine all ingredients and toss gently. 

Serve fish over corn tortillas and topped with mango avocado salsa. Add a pitcher of sangria or margaritas and a celebration it is! 




My thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected by today's events near or far. Take a minute to reflect on what you hold most dear to your heart today, then take a moment to tell someone you love them. 


No comments:

Post a Comment