Monday, April 8, 2013

Cupcakes, Krispies and S'more

It is the first really warm day of the year with temperatures reaching almost 80 degrees here in VA. With that summer is definitely on my mind and that includes fresh ingredients, glasses of white wine, and nights with my friends. I have so many great things to look forward to this coming summer including a trip to Hawaii, attending one of my best friends weddings, lots of races, and what looks to be weekends filled with good times and good friends. This weekend was a great kickoff of what's to come. Saturday night was spent playing with puppies, and grilling out with my dear friends the Crandall's. Sunday was day two of grilling this time with the Johnsons, Chomenkos, and more playing Dance Central and Fruit Ninja! I was in charge of dessert both nights and what says summer more than s'mores and oreos?! Saturday featured S'mores Krispie Treats and Oreo Icebox cake, while Sundays showing was Oreo stuffed cupcakes and round two of S'more Krispies. I wanted something quick and easy that wouldn't keep me in the kitchen all day. Well, I couldn't have picked better recipes because they were just that, easy. My semi-homemade skills were out in full force. Didn't quite get a picture of the S'mores Krispies but there were rave reviews, so I highly recommend giving them a try even without a sneak peek. Oh and by the way, we completely passed over spring because even the cherry blossoms refuse to come out in full bloom. It's straight ahead to summer!

S'mores Krispie Treats
1 box Golden Grahams Cereal
1 big bag Mini Marshmallows
3 Tbsp. Butter
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips divided

In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter and add marshmallows stirring constantly. In separate bowl,  combine melted marshmallow mixture, golden grahams, and 2 tbsp. mini chocolate chips. Stir until all ingredients are combined. In a 9x13 pan (make sure to spray with cooking spray) press mixture using wax paper until tightly packed. Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips over the top of mixture and press again. That's it! 

Oreo Stuffed Cupcakes
1 box Golden Butter Cake Mix (prepare as directed on box; eggs, butter and water needed)
24 Oreos 
1 can Vanilla Frosting
Sprinkles to Decorate 

In a paper lined cupcake holder, spoon out 1 Tbsp. of prepared cake batter into each cup. Top batter with one Oreo, then top Oreo with another heaping tablespoon of batter. Bake as directed on box (I found I had to cook mine 2-3 minutes less because there was less cake to bake). Allow cupcakes to cool completely on a wire rack. Decorate as you please, the more color the better! 

Tonight it is all about Turkey and Quinoa Stuffed Peppers....post coming soon! Have a recipe you want to share? Comment below and I'll give it a try, posting my results! Tell your friends to stop by my blog, I'm trying to reach my 3,000 visit by May 31. Do you think I can do it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment