Sunday, February 2, 2014

Cherry Cheese Danishes


It's February, which means most people have abandoned their new year's resolutions and Valentine's Day is around the corner. I talked a lot about my goals and wishes for the new year in my last post but I didn't lay them out. One of my goals is to whittle down my credit card debt. And so far, I have been sticking to my guns. Part of that means I need to be much more frugal with my entertainment and food budget. You would really be surprised how much one person can spend on food in a month. Seriously, it's a lot! So I'm trying to be creative with the contents of my pantry and really try to use as much of it as I can. As I survey the contents, what is staring straight back at me but a can of light cherry pie filling. Now why may you ask is that in my pantry?? I'm not particularly fond of cherry pie and it's not an ingredient I use often. I had purchased it to use in my grandmother's holiday squares recipe but opted for a can of blueberry pie filling instead. So what to do with the filling?? After a few minutes on Pinterest the idea of a cherry cheese danish came to mind. This is a super easy and semi-homemade recipe.  

 With very little effort you will have the perfect Valentine's Day good morning treat.


Cherry Cheese Danishes
1 tube crescent rolls
1/2 block (4 oz.) of softened light cream cheese
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. lemon juice 
1/2 can light cherry pie filling (reduced sugar) 
egg wash (1 egg whisked with 2 tbsp. water for brushing) 

Preheat oven to 375 degree oven or follow directions on tube of rolls. On a parchment paper lined cookie sheet unroll and separate crescent rolls. In a small bowl, combine cream cheese, sugar, vanilla extract, and lemon juice. Using a small spatula, spread cheese mixture evenly over the crescent rolls until completely used up. At the wide end of the roll, place about 1 heaping tsp. of cherry filling. Continue with the rest of the rolls. Holding the wide end of the roll, take the narrow end over top the filling and around. Note: this will not seal the filling in, you will still see some cherry filling on each side. Brush assembled danishes with egg wash. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until danishes are golden brown. 

I hope you all are off to enjoy the Superbowl! Go Seahawks!! Don't forget to follow my blog if you like what you see! 

No comments:

Post a Comment