Sunday, July 24, 2011

Bread Bread and more bread

I feel like I am making up for lost time with this weekends multiple posts. Woohoo, go me for keeping up with this project!

My friend Kim emailed me this recipe last week and it did not take me very long before I went ahead and tried it. I mean I already had all of the ingredients stocked in the pantry and an entire afternoon ahead of me what was a girl to do?? The fact that it was a Cinnamon Pull Apart Bread recipe had nothing to do with...at all. Right, anyways so the recipe came from this blog Joy the Baker. Another food blog I must add to my favorites list. I love the recipes she includes and her narrative keeps me entertained. Whilst I was perusing different blogs, I happened upon this recipe for Pumpkin Doughnuts, which I just might have to try for doughnut pan round 2. Also,  I found this interesting tutorial on how to do a Side French Braid. I totally tried it out on myself for church this morning and it worked!! It was really easy and came out so pretty. The picture was taken at the end of the day, it wasn't quite so frizzy this morning ha.


This is going to be my go to hair style when I feel like dressing it up a bit. 

Onto the good stuff, the bread. The real reason I wanted to try this recipe was because it is a yeast based bread. I tend to stay away from recipes that include the dreaded yeast. Besides my easter babka, I don't believe I have tried a single yeasted recipe. Needless to say it is something that I would usually put aside and say maybe later. But since 2011 is the year to try things that scare me I went for it. And boy am I glad that a) I have a friend who knows me well enough to know I love a good sweet and b) that I actually went through and made this tasty treat.

Check out the recipe here: Cinnamon Pull Apart 

 Making the dough was actually very easy. The only thing that I changed from the original recipe is that I added an extra pinch of yeast, don't ask me why I did this but I did. Annnnnd, I'm pretty sure I should have stuck to the original. More about that later. The recipe just takes some time and patience. I made sure I had plenty of cleaning to do to fill up the time while the dough sat to rise then rise again. Make sure you keep the dough in a warm place while it doubles in size or else you will be waiting even longer. I kept it near my sink while I did the dishes so the steam from the hot water kept the kitchen nice and warm. It also helped that the outside temperature was 95 degrees. 

Once I got to this point, it was ready to be put in the oven. 
Before
This is where the more about that comes in. So the extra yeast allowed for the bread to rise just a little to high and the sugary, cinnamony goodness dripped over the sides and into the oven leaving me with a smoke filled kitchen/entire apartment since I do live in a studio. Ughhh, nothing worse than an apartment that will not clear out the smoke. Opening the windows is the last thing I wanted to do on such a hot day. But not to worry the bread was not effected by this little mishap.  
After
Can anyone pick out where I snuck a quick taste? 
This was absolutely the best Saturday project I have done in a while. The recipe includes two of my favorite spices, cinnamon and nutmeg. Seriously, any dessert is just ten times better when it includes the dynamic duo of cinnamon and nutmeg. I mean really have you met a dessert that wasn't better because it had hints of spice? Apple pie? Pumpkin Pie? Any pie for that matter? Cinnamon rolls? Coffee Cake? This recipe did not disappoint on that note.  
I couldn't stop taking pictures.

It was still just as delicious the next day with a cup of strong early grey tea. I think it was even better, if that is possible, with the tea because of the contrasting flavors of the strong tea and the sweet bread. Let's just say there isn't much bread left. But Mom, don't worry I racked up 4 miles on the treadmill yesterday and got in my yoga today :) So if any of you out there have any more suggestions I'm open to trying just about anything! And if you're lucky you might just get to try the results :) 




No comments:

Post a Comment