Saturday, July 16, 2011

Vacation Feast

So as promised I'm getting back on the bloggin' wagon. Vacation was a-m-a-z-i-n-g! I could not have asked for a better week to spend at home on the beach. Being with family and friends reminded me how blessed I am to have such wonderful, loving people in my life. I can assure you it was hard to leave that behind. Being home on the island I gorged on all of the best seafood that could be had. Clams, mussels, shrimp, lobsters, I didn't leave anything out.  But I will give credit where credit is due, my mother was the one spoiling me with these feasts night after night. I would be lucky to have just a bit of the talent she has in the kitchen. But I did lend a hand in the kitchen a few times. This fish taco feast was made on the last night of my vacation. It was enjoyed with some of the best people I know!

These super easy sides were used to create a make your own taco buffet! Any of these would be great sides for grilled fish or chicken if you didn't want to go the taco route.

 Cabbage Slaw with a Chili-Lime Yogurt Sauce
1/2 a head of red cabbage shredded
1/2 medium green bell pepper sliced
1/2 medium red bell pepper sliced
1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
juice of two limes
1 tsp. chili powder
salt and pepper
Whisk together yogurt, lime, juice, chili powder, salt and pepper. Pour mixture over vegetables, serve.

Mango Salsa
2 large mangos, peeled and diced
1 fresh jalapeno, sliced (if you like it spicy leave the seeds and ribs; for a milder salsa remove)
1 tbsp. chopped cilantro
1/2 cup sliced red onion
drizzle of olive oil
salt and pepper
Combine all ingredients and serve!

Black Bean and Corn Salsa
1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 box frozen corn kernels (feel free to use fresh if you have it available)
2 tsp. chopped cilantro
1/4 cup red bell pepper sliced
Drizzle olive oil
Juice of 1 lime
Salt and Pepper
Combine all ingredients and serve!

Grilled Swordfish, Flounder, Shrimp with Chili-Lime Marinade
3/4 cup Olive Oil
2 Tsp. Chili Powder
Juice of 1 Lime
Salt and Pepper
Simply brush the seafood on both sides and continue to brush the marinade on as you grill. I placed the shrimp in a grill top wok with the shells still on to keep the flavor. The flounder I placed in foil "boats" to prevent sticking. The swordfish cubes went straight on the grill. 

Serve all of the above with warm tortillas, shredded lettuce, guacamole and chips (my sister made her famous recipe), and of course some Skinnygirl Margaritas®. A great summer feast with great friends and family!




No comments:

Post a Comment