Friday, July 22, 2011

Heat Wave...

So down here in the lovely metro DC area, temperatures reached 110 degrees with a heat index of 120 today. I don't know about you but I was not made for this heat. Growing up, as the temperatures began to climb, we always had a nice breeze of the water for reprieve. And let's not even talk about the humidity, my hair is in a constant state of frizzy curl, and not the cute "just came from the beach" kind of hair. So I decided to hunker down in my nicely chilled air conditioned studio and cook up a delicious summer inspired dish. And aren't you lucky, I'm going to share :)

This was made with fresh veggies from my farmer's market that I had stowed away in my fridge that needed to be cooked up and fast. This is a super easy vegetarian dish that I used as my dinner but for those of you who don't swing that way it would be a great side to bring to a cookout. You would amaze your friends with your knowledge of an ancient grain super food and show them your mastery at making it taste delicious.



Grilled Zucchini over a Quinoa, Corn and Tomato Salad with a Lemon Vinaigrette 


1 medium zucchini, sliced 1/2 inch-1 inch thick
1 large heirloom tomato, diced
3 ears fresh corn on the cob
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 cup cooked quinoa (usually you can find this in the organic section or near the rice in your grocery store)
1 lemon, juiced (about 1/4 cup)
3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, split
Salt and Pepper

Cook quinoa as directed on box. In a small bowl, toss the zucchini with 1 tbsp. olive oil, salt and pepper.   On a grill pan (or if your lucky enough out on an actual grill), grill the zucchini until slightly softened. The zucchini should still have a little firmness for texture. In a large pot filled with water and a pinch of salt, put the corn and bring to a boil. Cook for 10 minutes or until corn is done. In a small bowl, whisk together 2 tbsp. olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper set aside. In a large bowl, combine cooked quinoa, tomato, parsley, and the corn cut off the cob. Pour the lemon vinaigrette over the quinoa salad and toss. To serve top with the grilled zucchini and enjoy!

I enjoyed the salad warm but if I was a gambler I would bet it would be equally delicious as a cold salad!

1 comment:

  1. FYI- I think it is even better cold the next day! The lemony flavor really comes out once it has soaked into the quinoa over night.

    ReplyDelete