Monday, January 2, 2012

2012!

I can't believe it has been one year since this here blog was started. It began as a passing thought and has developed into a truly fun and exciting hobby. I wasn't sure how I would fair writing my thoughts for others to read, but it has been a very freeing experience. I love to give you all a taste of what I'm thinking, cooking, and feeling. One Recipe at a Time has taught me to try things that I never thought would work and to open up my mind and my taste buds to new things. 2011 was a hard year for many reasons and I'm glad to see it in my rearview. I can only begin to guess what 2012 has to offer but I hope it is full of new and exciting adventures, great recipes, great experiences and lots of happiness. I hope to reach more people with my recipes and my banter, so please pass this on to anyone who enjoys comforting food and a flair for fun.

To start the new year off right I'm sharing with you the easiest asian inspired/ make your own take out/pantry clean out/I just got back from a great weekend in Astoria and couldn't bear a trip to the grocery store style dinner. Please hold your applause for after :) 

Mixed Vegetable Asian Saute over Egg Noodles
1 large zucchini, cut into small strips
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup sliced red bell pepper
1 clove of garlic minced
1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
1 tsp. canola oil (more if needed)
2 cups egg noodles (prepared as directed on bag)
1 1/2 tbsp. sunflower seed butter (or peanut butter or almond butter)
2 tsp. soy sauce
2 generous squeezes of Sriracha
Sesame Seeds for garnish (optional)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Start by preparing your egg noodles as directed on the packaging, feel free to use whatever you have in the pantry (spaghetti or soba noodles would work just as well). In a large saute pan swirl on your sesame oil and canola oil. Add zucchini, carrots, and pepper, allow to cook for 3-4 minutes or until they begin to soften. Stir in the garlic and continue to cook. Without removing the vegetables add the sunflower seed butter, Sriracha, soy sauce and salt and pepper. Stirring to combine all ingredients. Add about 3 tbsp. of the cooking water from your egg noodles to the large saute pan to thin out the sauce. Serve the vegetables immediately over noodles and garnish with a sprinkle of sesame seeds! 
Adjust the amounts of Sriacha to your taste, if you like it spicy add another tbsp. or so. I would also suggest a squeeze of lime juice which was no where to be found in my house. It still came out delicious but a little acid would really set this dish off! 

I hope you all stick with me for another year full of food and fun! Be on the look out for souffles, sixteen layer cakes, puff pastry, and healthy alternatives.  Love you all thanks for sharing this experience with me ;) 



1 comment:

  1. Can I schedule a cooking lesson in 2012...to learn how to make this?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete