Monday, January 23, 2012

Falafel..semi-homemade

So tonight I needed something quick and fresh. This rain and grey weather has been bringing my spirits down. I almost forget what the warmth of sun feels like. I was craving something that would bring me the freshness of summer but still warm me up in the winter. I had some yummy Trader Joe's items stashed in my fridge so I raided those first and came up with FALAFEL! Who doesn't love a good chickpea meatball-esque delicacy. After I rounded up all of my ingredients I whipped up a quick cucumber and tomato salad, which added that fresh taste of summer to my falafel sandwich. I'll admit I did not make my tzatziki fresh like a normally would but sometimes a shortcut is worth it. I'll still include my go to tzatziki recipe just for you.


Cucumber and Tomato Salad
2 cherry tomatoes, diced
1/4 cup cucumber, diced into big cubes
2 tbsp. onion, chopped
1 Tbsp. red wine Vinegar
2 tsp. olive oil
Dash of oregano
Salt and Pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and toss. Let sit for about 5 minutes so the flavors have time to rest.

Falafel Sandwich
3 falafel pieces (I used Trader Joe's pre made falafel)
1 small whole wheat pita round
2 Tbsp. Tzatziki (again I used Trader Joe's creamy garlic cucumber dip)
1 Tbsp. Fat Free Feta, crumbled
Handful of mixed greens, or lettuce
2 Tbsp. cucumber and tomato salad

Prepare falafel as directed on the packaging. Open the pita from the top. First add the mixed greens, layer 1 Tbsp. of the cucumber/tomato salad, top with falafel, sprinkle the feta, spoon on the tzatziki, top with the remainder of the cucumber/tomato salad and you are all set.


Then enjoy a light and healthy dinner! The cucumber salad makes enough for two servings to use for leftovers lunch.

Tzatziki (when I make it fresh)
1 cup plain fat free greek yogurt
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 medium cucumber grated (peeled and seeded first)
2 Tbsp. or more of chopped fresh dill (dried works too)
Salt and Pepper

Grate cucumber used a cheese grater then strain the cucumber to release all of the water. Mix the cucumber, yogurt, garlic, and fresh dill until combined. Add salt and pepper to taste. 

Now onto a little Valentine's Day decorating project. Time to get crafty. Let me know if you try the recipe or some variation.

No comments:

Post a Comment