Monday, January 30, 2012

It's Fried Chicken Ya'll

At the beginning of this blog I promised myself I would try things that a) I have never cooked before and b) that I have always been hesitant to try. And fried chicken was on the top of that list. Mainly, because I felt like it was a long, involved process and I have little to no frying experience  (for example see apple fritter disaster). But it is my second year into this blog and I am determined to stay on task. I had been craving fried chicken for the past two months but couldn't bring myself to go through the KFC drive thru. So you can only imagine my excitement when in the mail came this months Bon Apetit magazine and on the cover was FRIED CHICKEN!! The recipe claims that you will never need another fried chicken recipe, ever. I would have to agree. I might tweak how much of the spice rub I would use but other than that my chicken came out to fried perfection.

I'm not going to write out each step for you, I will let the culinary experts walk you through it if you follow this link, Bon Apetit--Fried Chicken.
Spiced rubbed up! 
But I will give you a few of my own personal notes. Instead of using a whole chicken, as suggested, and butchering it up myself, I purchased pre-cut drumsticks, thighs, and wings. This worked best for me since it was less work on my end. Even though it definitely was the more expensive route. Best advice I can give you is follow the recipe through and through, don't stray. These people know there stuff.
Dripping and Drying for the extra crunch!  
Instead of using a large skillet (I didn't have one handy), I used a mini deep fryer that my friends Kristen and Steve so generously let me borrow along with their fabulous kitchen for this here task. It worked really well since it immersed the chicken completely but did take longer since there were more batches to make. When cooling the chicken, make sure to use a rack so that the air can easily move below the chicken so that it keeps the skin nice and crispy. Otherwise, you will be stuck with soggy chicken and no one wants soggy chicken.

Almost time for eating...
This recipe really does make the best fried chicken I have had in a long time. Now being that I have been in this here southern part of the country for going on 8 years it is about time I mastered a southern classic. And what better day to make chicken then on a Sunday! This is for sure a weekend dinner and something special to boot. 

Delicious! 
But I couldn't end this dinner with just another southern dessert. I had to add a little northern aggression into the mix with some Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes! I found this gem of a recipe on Pinterest and had to give it a whirl. If you can make boxed cupcakes and vanilla pudding you can easily pull of this recipe. They look fancier then they are. Follow the link for the recipe: 



I used a regular vanilla pudding package instead of French Vanilla (no big difference there) and instead of heating the chocolate on the stove, I simplified and used the microwave (combine the 12 oz. of dark chocolate and 1 cup heavy cream in microwave safe bowl, microwave for one minute stir then continue for another minute or until chocolate is completely melted).  Hope you enjoy this post as much as I enjoyed the dinner :) Big shout out to Kristen and Steve for being my test dummies and helping me whip up a delicious meal! 

No comments:

Post a Comment