Thursday, February 7, 2013

Jalapeno and Beer Queso Dip

I have a thing for beer, like really good beer. I enjoy an array of artisan beers and you will never see a Miller Lite in my fridge. Not to say I don't indulge in a cold Bud Light on a hot summer's day, but I've just always preferred a darker, richer tasting beer. If you know me, I usually order a Guinness when out and about. As Superbowl approached, my girl Sarah and I were brainstorming a delicious menu splitting the cooking down the middle. She came up with baked "fried" pickles, yummo! I immediately thought of these, Soft-Pretzels , that I've made many a times. As it has been a hot minute since my last post I wanted to create something super special to accompany these heavenly treats. Queue cheese dip! Not just any cheese dip but a jalapeno queso dip that is simmered with Shiner Bock Farmer's Ale. Hello, did I just drool! I mean really what could pair better with the football game of the season than cheese, beer, and jalapenos all melted into an ooey gooey dip.

Jalapeno and Beer Queso Dip (Servings--A Lot!)
1 Tbsp. Butter
2 medium fresh jalapenos, diced with seeds and ribs removed (for more heat do not remove seeds)
1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
1 Tbsp. flour
8 oz. pepper jack cheese, shredded
8 oz. white american cheese
1/2 cup cream  (half and half or 2% milk would work too)
6 oz. beer of your choice (something strong in flavor pairs best with the cheese and jalapeno)
Salt and Pepper to taste

In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter adding jalapenos and bell pepper. Saute until soft about 2 minutes. Add flour and stir to create a roux. Slowly add 1/4 cup of cream and stir. Add pepper jack and american cheeses stirring constantly allowing cheese to melt. Add in remaining cream and stir. To finish add beer and simmer for another 5-10 minutes allowing flavors to meld. Serve piping hot with your favorite pretzels, chips, or toasted bread.

Needless to say, this did not go to waste. We enjoyed the pickles, pretzels and dips, franks in a blanket, buffalo chicken dip, and boston creme cupcakes (Seen in this post: It's Fried Chicken Ya'll). Superbowl was a big success. Fun times with great friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment