Sunday, September 20, 2015

Buffalo Turkey Burgers

Hey ya'll! I'm on Day 20 of my second Whole30 challenge and it has been a roller coaster. I've tried so many new recipes that I can't even count. I literally have been living in my kitchen, cooking, meal prepping/planning, eating, and washing dishes. Seriously, the dishes never end...I've been way more adventurous this time and I'm happy to report that it has been seriously rewarding. I've made my own almond milk, chicken stock, and coconut butter all from scratch. No packaging, no preservatives, just good old homemade deliciousness. I've seriously reduced my food waste since starting the challenge. I think that has more to do with deliberate meal planning then the actual food I'm making. But heck, I'll take what I can get. My grocery bill has jumped quite a lot, but figure I'm almost never eating out so my restaurant budget is close to zero.

Some of my favorite recipes this go around include: Shrimp over Zoodles with Sunshine Sauce, Buffalo Turkey Burgers with Avocado, Ranch, and a Fried Egg, Pumpkin Breakfast Custard with Pecans and Dates, Salmon Cakes with Tarter Sauce over Spinach, and Harvest Chicken Salad.

Most of the above recipes come from the Whole30 cookbook/guide book (find it here on Amazon), which has been a life saver. It has helped me stay organized, on track, and motivated these last 20 days.

As of today, I'm feeling so much better than Day 1. I have less bloat, my clothes fit better, my energy is up, and cravings have dropped (although they are not gone completely). I've put myself in situations where my willpower has been tested, and I've been successful! Try sitting in a kitchen while your friend bakes chocolate chip cookies, if that isn't a test I'm not sure what is. But honestly, I didn't even want to eat the cookies, because I knew that it would take me away from goal and away from the lifestyle/behaviors I'm trying to embody.

Yet again, the positives I'm seeing from eating better and becoming healthier are pouring over into other areas of my life. After my first Whole30, I mentioned that I was making better life choices. And it is true the second time around. I spent close to two hours today working on my budget. My finances have been a huge burden for the past few years. I'm in decent credit card debt and have been struggling to get the number moving down. I have a lot of factors against me including living in one of the most expensive areas in the nation, working in an industry that doesn't compensate enough based on the work delivered (although don't we all think that!), and being single, living on my own! But instead of being negative, as I have been in the past, I decided to take a more positive tone to my plan. I set a date to when I want to be debt free, January 2019! I made a plan of how I was going to get there (teaching classes off hours, spending less, and committing to my budget). And I'm not going to let the lack of things I have take a bigger portion of my focus, than the things I am blessed to have. I have so much to be thankful for and that is where my concentration needs to stay! This may include giving up my vacation travels for the next few years and tightening up my purse a little, but it will give me the freedom that I've been wanting for so long!

On that note, I'm going to leave you with a recipe that is sure to put anyone in a great mood! I enjoyed this last night and just had to share!

Buffalo Turkey Burgers

1 lb. Ground Turkey
1/3 cup Buffalo Sauce (I made my own with hot sauce, ghee, coconut oil, cayenne)
1/4 cup Cashew Meal (Almond meal or coconut flour also work)
Salt and Pepper

Combine all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Form turkey mixture into 4 larger patties. Heat a large sauté pan with a touch of olive oil in it, so the patties don't stick. Cook patties for about 3 minutes each side. Then finish in the oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Serve with extra buffalo sauce drizzled over, a fried egg, on top of spinach with a side of avocado and roasted sweet potato wedges for an amazingly satisfying dinner!! Enjoy!

1 comment: