Saturday, September 5, 2015

Homemade Almond Milk

Wishing I had a pretty milk jug to display the final product!

Happy Labor Day! The summer is coming to an end and I'm getting so excited for the fall weather. I can practically smell the falling leaves, campfires, and crisp air that is one of my all time favorite smells. I'm on Day 5 of my Whole30 and going strong. There were a few touch and go moments but stocking my fridge and having compliant foods made it easy to stay on track. Think fried eggs, sausage, over salad with hot sauce slathered on top as my late night dinner.

I promised myself this time around I would be a little more adventurous in making homemade ingredients. Today I tackled almond milk. You would think extracting the milk from those little nuts would be a laborious process. In all honesty it was quite easy. The only down side was the amount of dishes that are still sitting in my sink waiting for me to clean up. Overall, I'm so happy I decided to give this a try. The results were fantastic. This isn't the most cost efficient way to enjoy almond milk. It is however the healthiest. With only three ingredients it's almost too good to be true. Almost. You do need some special tools in order to pull this off. First off, either a high powered blender or food processor and a nut milk bag (I ordered mine off Amazon for about $8). Remember that you will need to store the milk as well, so a sealed container is key.

Homemade Almond Milk
Filtered Water
2 cups organic raw almonds
4 cups Filtered Water
Pinch of Sea Salt

Soak almonds overnight (8-12 hours) in filtered water. I put mine in a big bowl with just enough water to cover the almonds. Cover bowl with wrap and let sit. In the morning, drain the almonds and rinse with a bit more filtered water. I made my milk in two batches. In food processor, place 1 cup of almonds and 2 cups of water. Process for 1-2 minutes. The mixture all be milky with some foam on top. Place nut milk bag in large deep bowl, then pour milk mixture into bag. Repeat process with remaining almonds and water. Tie off the bag, then squeeze all excess milk out of the bag, adding a pinch of salt to the finished product. You will be left with a lot of almond pulp in the bag, set aside for use later. Pour the strained milk into a sealable container and refrigerate!

This is the perfect addition to my morning coffee. Since Whole30 has seriously reduced my food waste, I'm going to put the leftover almond pulp to good use. There is no use wasting perfectly good pulp and throwing away money. I found a recipe to make an almond pulp hummus style dip. I'll give it a go and see if it's worth the share. Here is to another 25 days of whole, natural, and delicious food. Don't forget to follow me on Instagram, username Goldsmre, for more recipes and daily musings!

No comments:

Post a Comment