Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Whole30 Round Two

It was time for a kick in the butt. I had been struggling with my eating for the last few months. I lost all my self-control and once that snowball started rolling it just got bigger and bigger and bigger. I went back and read a few things that I had written at the end of my first Whole30 challenge in February. It held such positivity. How I felt, the things I was doing, and all of the positive effects Whole30 had on all aspects of my life. It was time to give it a second go. Why didn't it stick the first time? I don't have any excuses, it was my choice to stray and my decision to put bad things into my body. The one thing I do have to say is that going through surgery, no matter how minor, takes a lot out of a person. 

I was determined to sail into my 30th birthday in a more positive light. I didn't want the darkness from those bad decisions to overshadow my upcoming celebration. Because I truly do have a lot to celebrate. I wanted to get back to those feelings of accomplishment, lightness, happiness, and back to the better relationship with food I achieved. 

This second go around is starting off so smoothly. I think a part of me realizes that if I've done it once I know I can do it again. But I'm not naive. I know this is going to be equally challenging and a second time around will present different obstacles. I'm going through this solo. Last time, I had three friends equally committed to the challenge. I don't have that safety net this time. I have to rely on myself and that in itself is exciting. I purchased the Whole30 cookbook/guide and it has been my savior. It literally makes it so easy to be compliant. With tons of easy recipes at my fingertips meal planning a breeze. 

The best way to be successful is to prep. So Sunday meal prep started my week off right. Even though my Whole30 didn't officially start until Tuesday, I took the time to meal prep so there would be no surprises. My struggle is always mid-week when I'm exhausted and don't feel like coming up with something to cook. If I already have it planned out and the ingredients are in the fridge, I don't have an excuse. Meal prep included making homemade mayo, homemade raspberry walnut dressing, an NYC Frittata, cutting up watermelon, and cleaning out the fridge. This last one might just be the most important. I left no temptations behind. Literally cleared out all of the junk. Then meal planning was next. 
Here is what my first few days look like:

Tuesday
Scrambled Eggs with tomatoes, green beans, dill, scallions and Watermelon
Grilled Chicken over Mixed Greens with apples, cucumber, raisins and a Raspberry Walnut Dressing 
Coconut Beef with cauliflower rice and green beans
Wednesday 
NYC Frittata with Watermelon
Coconut Beef with cauliflower rice and green beans
Buffalo Chicken Burger with Sweet Potato Fritters and homemade Ranch 
Thursday 
NYC Frittata, banana with almond butter
Buffalo Chicken Burger with Sweet Potato Fritters
Spaghetti Squash with Italian Chicken Sausage and Tomato Sauce
Friday 
2 Fried Eggs over Mixed Greens and Monkey Salad (banana, shredded coconut, almond butter) 
Spaghetti Squash with Italian Chicken Sausage and Tomato Sauce
Buffalo Chicken Burger with Sweet Potato Fritters

Emergency Snacks: raw almonds, fruit, brazil nuts, raisins, applesauce 

I like variety so I try to get three meals out of each recipe. This helps me switch things up and not get bored. I love my food so the more variety the less likely I am to crave something other than what I cook. Because the NYC Frittata came out so good, I'm going to share the recipe. I came up with this after a trip the the bagel store when I was home on Long Island. I was thinking of your typical NY bagel with lox and cream cheese. Now how could I make it Whole30? A frittata, obviously. And here this emerged! 

NYC Frittata (makes about 3 servings) 
6 eggs
1/3 cup water
4 oz. smoked salmon (check the labels, NO added sugar)
1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
4 thin slices of a big tomato 
1 Tbsp. capers drained
2 Tbsp. dill, minced 
Salt and Pepper

Preheat oven to 350. Using a deep dish pie plate layer the smoked salmon. In a medium bowl, crack eggs, add water and whisk. Add dill, capers, and red onion to eggs. Pour mixture over smoked salmon. Top with slices of tomato, sprinkle a few capers over top. Bake for 30 minutes or until the top is set and the edges are golden brown. 

Serve with a side of your favorite fruit! Be on the lookout for more recipes, Instagram posts, and more of my Whole30 journey. Need support or have questions on how to get started? Check out the website here, or message me! 


2 comments:

  1. I know you can do it! I would love your raspberry walnut dressing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete